Inside of the Octopus Card (八達通)


With the hope to extract the chips from my normal-sized Octopus and made a smaller Octopus card, I search around on the net for a solution. I found one indeed but the size reduction is not promising at all.

Below link to the website for instruction (http://www.anpan2.ath.cx/eddy/index.php?fpath=main9.html). The card was soaked in thinner to dissolve the plastic cover from the circuit board.

Once that's done, the antenna was folded to reduced the card size. Due to the large size of the antenna, the overall size of the card could not be reduced much. The left picture below is the original circuit and the right one has the antenna folded (new size: 76 x 46mm).


If you really want a reduced size Octopus chips, the best is to get the one from the mini Octopus card or the Octopus watch. For me, I decided to abandon my original idea... both the mini Octopus and the Octopus watch are too expensive if the only purpose is to get the chips.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Quite right! It is excellent idea. I support you.
Anonymous said…
Rather useful piece
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
Hi! My name is Anna and I write for Time Out magazine in Hong Kong [timeout.com.hk]. For a story, we're trying to get an image of the inside of an Octopus card - like the one from this post! We'd love it if you could get in touch to discuss! My email is anna.cummins@timeout.com.hk and our phone number is 3583 5678. Best regards, Anna
Anonymous said…
Hi! Thanks a lot for the link. These images are what I need - do you know how I could get them in high resolution?

Best

Anna