Download from Ovi Store from your PC

The ability to download applications from PC is useful to me as I don't have an unlimited data plan from my ISP and my Nokia 5230 handset do not support Wifi.

To workaround the limitation, you need to modify your default user agent when Browsing. In Firefox, I am using the add-on User Agent Switcher to achieve this. Below User Agent string I am using,

Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.025; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413

Below definition of the user agent I have created,


Be aware that when you browse using this user agent, the Ovi store will believe you are browsing using your handset and a side effect being, it will display the webpage in a low resolution way like this (but I think that's fine).



Finally, and also the most important. The downloaded files (with extension .dm) are prefixed with a 4-line header that must be removed before you could use them in the Nokia handset. You should also rename the file to .sis after removing the header lines. Any decent binary editor should do the work and I am using Notepad++ to do the work. Below sample header (note the last line is an empty line).

--------------------314159261140418554884
Content-type: x-epoc/x-sisx-app
Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary

Comments

Anonymous said…
it for s60v5 how about for s60v3 like n81